On 12/31/2020 12:48 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
So, DEC part numbers (xx-yyyyy-zz) have a system where the 'xx' says what
_kind_ of part it is; e.g. bootstrap PROMs are all 23-xxxxx-yy. I seem to
recall reading at some point something which listed all the xx- codes, and
what they meant - but now I can't find it. A Web search didn't turn it up, and
it's not in the 1974 'engineering handbook'?

Does anyone recall seeing it, and if so, where?

I knew I had the documents, but I couldn't figure out where I originally got them. (They seem to have been converted from TIFF, so maybe highgate?)

Anyway, the "Spare Parts List" links on this page are relevant:
http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/repair/subst.php

Obviously, I could look through a bunch of print sets, and reconstruct it
(e.g. 90- seems to mean mounting hardware - nuts and bolts, etc) but I'd
rather not put the time and energy into reconstructing the wheel, unless
there's no other way.

These documents are dated July and Sept. 1970, so you may well want to do that work anyway, to get a handle on the newer part numbers.

        Vince