On 2/11/21 12:31 PM, Mattis Lind via cctalk wrote:

But then I thought, perhaps this is a more generic problem. People having
ESDI drives (well, SMD as well I guess) that there is no controller
available for or could be made running due to drivers or whatever. So what
if those drives could be read anyway.

Interfacewise it shouldn't be that complex. One benefit of ESDI is that the
clock extraction has already been done, so it is mostly a question on
finding marks calculating CRC.

/Mattis

I have a bunch of RT drives that I need to archive, and I have the same problem.

It should be possible to disable write gate and use a generic PC ESDI controller
to position the heads, then extract the data with a logic analyzer or something
else capable of running at that data rate. If you look at the spec, there is a
byte
strobe along with the clock and data.