On 26/03/2021 08:24, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
Assuming anything gets shipped at all. Perhaps they don't want to take money
from anybody too local who might cause them some grief.
Well eBay will want the seller to make a refund if the buyer complains, and location doesn't make any difference there. In fact it would make return postage more expensive (at the seller's expense). For a drive of this quality, as a seller, you'd celarly want it back if the transaction went pear-shaped :-)
I note they ask £260.00 for "Economy Delivery (Economy Int'l Postage)" to
the Netherlands "between Wed. 31 Mar. and Fri. 16 Apr". That's quite the
markup on a bit of bubblewrap, a Jiffy bag, and a €7 stamp.

I think I'd want a tiny bit more wrapping for a hard drive than just a bit of bubblewrap. I know SCAN and eBuyer do just bubblewrap them, wrap a mailer around them and send them off, but when I sold drives on eBay I always sent them out in a foam-padded box with a cut-out. Then again I had access to those for nothing and I wasn't sending out hundreds a day.

I do have some RD5x drives and I'd probably want to shift the excess (assuming there is any excess after I get around to testing them!) but I'd be really reluctant to ship those at all. I have no idea how much shock-proofing they would need to withstand the 1.5m drop that the parcel carriers all quote!

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
anto...@acarlini.com