On 5/4/2021 1:00 PM, Peter Dreisiger via cctalk wrote:

Firstly, apologies if my response doesn't show up nicely in this thread --- I
only receive the daily digests so I'm not sure how best to reply to a specific
post...

But on the subject of sourcing / making video cables with 3W3 connectors on one
end, I also balked at the cost of the coaxial insets and decided to make an
only marginally dodgy (if I do say so myself) cable out of half of an old VGA
cable, three of the 'sleeves' / female connectors contained, in abundance, in
every female D-sub connector, and a few bits of heat-shrink (see
https://media.decarchive.org/DEC/VAX/VAXstation%204000-VLC/IMG_3941.jpg for a
photo of this cable from an albeit sub-optimal angle). The resulting
connections were surprisingly stable, however, were I to make another one, I'd
replace the grounding alligator clip with a lug that can be screwed onto one of
retaining nuts next to the VLC's 3W3 connector, and use longer bits of
heat-shrink to fully insulate the outside of the RGB connectors...

And just FYI, even as shown, the video quality was more than adequate
(considering the resolution of the VLC's LCG framebuffer), however, I suppose
one could always attach a shielded DA15 shell to provide a bit of extra noise
suppression (as well as mechanical protection).

Hope this helps,

Peter

I, for one, did find this helpful - one could make one of these up to test before possibly forking over the funds to build one properly.

JRJ