On 18/04/2021 18:00, Antonio Carlini wrote:

I'm using a seven year old DVD-RW drive and a similarly aged DVD-ROM drive. The results are the same in either case.

Life got in the way, as usual, but here are a few CDROMs to start with: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c1ttR83wt5Y4z4O9DsFWtJgV-PdpHarS?usp=sharing.

Hopefully those will be accessible to whoever wants them.

AG-MN36G-RE and AG-PASMA-RE are discs 1 and 2 of NOV-1989 CONDIST.

AG-NC67C-RE is the JUL-1987 CONOLD.

AG-NH36B-RE is Disc 1 of 2 of the JUL-1989 "VMS AD Software Consolidation", which I think was some sort of experiment.

Two of them may well be completely unrecoverable. The others that I've tried with 1989 date codes are 99+% recoverable so I'm hoping that the missing sector or so doesn't upset ODS-2 too much. If I get the time, I'll try them out tonight. The May 1989 CONDIST (and the Mar 1989 CONOLD) are both currently completely unreadable. I'll try one of them in the GAME polishing machine, assuming they actually have a polishing machine nearby. If there is no such machine nearby then I'll try the 3000 grit sandpaper as there's not really much to lose.

I've no idea whether the nearby GAME store has a polisher, as they've not replied to my queries and I've given up waiting. I'm going to try 2000/3000 grit sandpaper on the MAR-1989 CONOLD soon, so we'll see how that goes (I picked up some rubbing compound today, which is needed for the final stage).

I do have a few more early ones imaged, I just haven't scanned the CDROM themselves, so as soon as I get that done (hopefully less than a month this time!) I'll upload those and make a note here.

These are tar images compressed with xz. "-J" should expand them. There is a sha256sum.txt file inside and a readme with details of the extraction and the results of the ddrescue command. I think AG-PASMA-RE read without error using dd.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
anto...@acarlini.com