> On Jun 2, 2021, at 6:34 AM, Steve Maddison via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 at 22:38, Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if you're talking about the same sort of device I had trouble
>> with, so FYI: the Pro power supply is a box the size of an old-fashioned
>> Bible, with a CEE power inlet at one end.  That inlet is actually part of a
>> sealed metal box containing a power filter.
>>
>> Mine decided to let out its magic smoke, in quite spectacular fashion,
>> stinking up the workshop and leaking evil looking black tarry stuff over the
>> insides of the power supply.  But the supply appeared to be intact in other
>> respects.
>>
>> I couldn't find a matching filter, so instead I found a functionaly similar
>> filter that's physically smaller.  I then created an adapter plate with a
>> hole to accept the new filter, and a flange sized to match the old one.  My
>> sheet metal skills aren't great so it doesn't look all that professional but
>> it's plenty good to get the job done.
>>
>> FYI, the new filter is this one:
>> https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/schurter-inc/5120.2006.0/1843934
>> -- about half the size of the one it replaces.
>>

> Yeah, I think we're talking about the same thing although mine looks
> to be significantly larger than your replacement, measuring about
> 120x75x45mm. From what I've read they are both sealed/soldered and
> potted so that would explain the black goo. Fortunately mine didn't
> quite get to that stage although it was suitably "fragrant" for sure.
> I will double check the specs but your replacement looks like it'd
> work for me too - very kind of them to put the schematic on the
> outside :) Thanks for the link!
>
> -Steve

You're welcome.  There are plenty of other filters similar to the one I
mentioned; it just happens that this one was a good replacement for the one
that failed in my system.  For that matter, there are a number of other
suppliers.  If you prefer screw mount rather than snap-in, that's available.
Integrated switches and/or fuse holders I assume are there as well, I didn't
look.  Also various filter configurations and current ratings.