On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 5:59 PM Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Aug 11, 2021, at 7:06 PM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk
> > <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > Ah ha!  Thanks much, Glen!
> >
> > simh is usually pretty good about padding out attached images,
>
> No, I don't think that is true.  What is true is that recent versions of SIMH
> will create full size container files for disk containers.  But sufficiently
> old versions did not, so it is not too strange to run into, say, an RK05
> image that's shorter than 4800 blocks.
>
> But those normally work; all that happens is that reading too far either
> gives you zeroes or a read error, I don't remember which.  Since the blocks
> were never written they should be marked as unused in the file system and
> nothing will read them, so that's fine.
>
> If there's an unused track at the start of a SIMH image file and in your copy
> that was missing, that's a different case.  Is that the issue?
>
> Or is the RX02 emulation different from regular disks?
>
>         paul

It's been a while since the last time I did anything with a SIMH
PDP-11. I just fired up the simh-4.0-Current--2020-06-09-0912a927
version that I last used to take a look at these RX-02 disk images.

As far as I can tell by default PUTR expects to work with logical
sector order RX-02 disk images that are 512,512 bytes in size. The
BASIC-11 RX-02 disk image available here is in logical sector order,
but is less than 512,512 bytes in size:
http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/floppyimages/rx02/
PUTR appears to be unhappy with the disk image unless it is padded to
512,512 bytes in size.

On the other hand as far as I can tell by default SIMH expects to work
with physical sector order RX-02 disk images. If I mount the logical
sector order RX-02 disk image that works with PUTR in SIMH, then RT-11
gives a "?DIR-F-Invalid directory" error. If I translate the logical
sector order RX-02 disk image back into a physical sector order disk
image (dealing with track shifting, sector interleaving, and track to
track sector skewing) then RT-11 on SIMH is happy with the disk image.