On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 11:02:38 AM PDT, Antonio Carlini via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> My recollection is that the MicroVAX 2000 SCSI isn't complete and was
> only intended for the tape unit. Whether its performance beats an RD54
> will be interesting to see.

The ROM/VMB support certainly isn't "complete". The NCR5380 itself can do SCSI
for both disks and tapes.
My comparison point would probably be MFM emulator versus SCSI2SD v5.2.
Documentation,
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/ncr_symbios/scsi/NCR_SCSI_Engineering_Notebook_Rev2_Oct85.pdf
 , says the NCR538x didn't support synchronous SCSI until the 5386S. The SCSI
devices would have to avoid ID 0, as that's what the MV2000 ROM uses.