On Sep 27, 2021, at 2:15 PM, Nemo Nusquam via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 2021-09-27 10:07, Joshua Rice via cctalk wrote (in part):
>>
>> However, much of the "Linux" software is in fact POSIX software, and can
>> quite easily be ported between Linux and other *NIX-likes, such as Solaris,
>> macOS and the *BSD family.
>
> I cannot agree.  Many developers ensure that their software runs under their
> particular distribution and then call it POSIX. Porting to UNIX systems, such
> as Solaris or macOS, can be difficult and tedious.  (Of course, this is not a
> Linux issue.)
>
> N.

This also sums up nicely what is Linux’s greatest failing.  Software vendors
need “Linux”, and what they get is “Red Hat”, “SLES”, “Ubuntu”, etc. and as a
result, the users suffer.  This is why most commercial apps target MacOS and
Windows, or more often than not, just Windows.

One vendor I work with is looking at supporting something in Linux, the problem
being, they have to re-implement it for each distro.  That’s just one of the
issues they face it supporting Linux.

Zane