On Sun, 31 Oct 2021, Charles via cctalk wrote:

Please excuse the hijack:

I have two Silent 700's, I think the 745 models with acoustic coupler and 110/300 baud rocker switch. One I have fixed and it works great (well, at least as far as that silvery thermal printout goes).

I've seen ELECTROSTATIC printers with silvery aluminized electrostatic paper. Didn't hold up well to crumpling. Such as http://www.trs-80.org/trs-80-quick-printer/
or the HP 9120

The THERMAL paper that I used for the Silent 700s was "white" and very slowly changing to yellow or brown. Didn't hold up very well to heat and/or sunlight.

The Gavilan had a printer that was thermal OR could take an ink ribbon cartridge. When used with thermal paper AND the ink, the quality was significantly better than either thermal or ink.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com