On 1/1/22 1:53 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
On 1/1/22 11:46 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
Having 240 in your house does not necessarily mean you have 240 outlets anywhere and not everyone is capable of doing their own house wiring.

There may even be 240 V outlets but not available when / where needed. E.g. in use (stove, dryer, water heater) or too far away to be able to plug the VAX in for testing.  Then there's also the chance that the plugs don't match.

I do 120 V wiring semi-regular.  I've done 240 V wiring before.  I'm sure that I'll do it again.  But I'm always afraid that failure mode on the 240 V is going to fail spectacularly.  My only saving grace is that the breaker will almost certainly trip in short order to mitigate my failure.  Thankfully no breaker trips thusfar.

In my current house I have done 240V/50A wiring, 240V/50A Sub Panel,
lots of 240V/30A outlets.  None of which I would advise the usual
amateur to do.  :-)

Just out of curiosity, how much current is needed for an 11/780?

bill