On 1/1/22 2:44 PM, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:

The 'installation and configuration' manual for this machine would be huge.
They don't have it.
On bitsavers.  I just paged through it to check power consumption.

Plus, it's a mainframe. Not even any blinkenlights. Without setting it up as a
complete system
with everything interconnected properly, how would you even know it was running
correctly?
Well, you need to hook up a serial console terminal, and the console floppy needs to work.  That has power-up self tests, which will be quite helpful in the beginning.  Then, there would be a diagnostic tape that could run further detailed tests.
Plus you can safely assume at least some of the system unit interconnect cables
are missing.
These should all be in the manuals on bitsavers.  I'm pretty sure they have the complete /780 print set, which was 11x17" and about 2" thick!

Potentially weeks, even months of restoration work for a buyer, before even
daring to apply power.
Then if there's anything wrong in the electronics, good luck diagnosing and
getting spare parts.

Yes, getting a copy of the diags tape would be hugely helpful, but probably somebody has that.

Jon