On 2/9/22 10:54, Michael Thompson via cctech wrote:

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:55:31 +0000
From: Wayne S <wayne.su...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DECTape head problem

So it serms dectape heads are special. I don?t think Dec would have the
desire to make them internally so they probably contractef with a company
already set up to do that. Who were the big tape head manufacturers at that
time? Does anyone know?

We have one from Applied Magnetics Corporation, maybe the one in Goleta, CA.

I can't find them.  Lots of lost info (even Bloomberg has info, but the web site listed goes to a parking 'for sale' page.) Documents suggest they "merged out" in 1987 (but no pointers to who gobbled them up.)

I have sent a request for information from jrfmagnetics.com (thanks Tom!) and will see what they say.  It's seems they are still 'lingering' in the head repair business, so it's remotely possible they could do a repair job.

Thanks all.

If anyone has a working head they aren't using, I'd entertain an offer... :-)

-Gary