On 2/18/22 09:46, Paul Koning wrote:

On Feb 18, 2022, at 7:08 AM, Joerg Hoppe via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

Hi,

my computer club c-c-g.de could acquire the remains of a VAX9000 !
The machine ran at the GWDG computing center in G?ttingen, Germany, around 1993.
Parts of it were in stock of their museum for 20+ years.

See lots of hires-pictures at

https://c-c-g.de/fachartikel/359-vax-9000-ein-starker-exot

(scroll to the bottom for a slide show).

Joerg

Excellent photos!

I didn't realize the 9000 had a vector processor.

One reason the design was so expensive is that it was originally planned as a water-cooled machine
-- code name "Aquarius".  At some point that idea was dropped and switched to air cooling
-- code name "Aridus".  I guess those skinny pipes with red and blue markers carry jets
of cooling air, but were originally going to carry water.

The 9000 also had its own I/O bus, XMI, different from BI.  I don't know how
its performance compares, whether it was worth the effort.

XMI already existed as the system bus for the VAX 6000 series machines. I/O on the VAX 6000's was via an XMI-to-BI bridge. I don't remember the exact performance specs on XMI, but it was wider and faster than BI.

XMI was then also used as one of the possible I/O buses on the VAX 10000 and AlphaServer 7000 and 8000 series machines, via a system bus to XMI bridge. So the XMI I/O adapters were common across all these series of machines.

        Gary