On 2/22/2022 6:42 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 4:36 PM js--- via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org>> wrote:

    Rod,

       Not sure an RX33 (if 1.2MB
    equivalent) would write working RX50
    800k (double density) disks.  Very
    different drives.

The RX-33 is the same sort of drive that you had in your PC if you wrote RX-50s with your PC. Back in the day, lots of people used RX50.SYS to have it setup the transfer rates, RPM and sectors per track parameters so that you could read/write them on a PC running DOS. The parameters are basically the same ones you need to write the 360k DOS floppies, only with twice the number of tracks and 10 sectors per track instead of 9 (this is done by making the track gaps smaller and eeking an extra sector out of the
deal, but using at the same data rates).

Thanks for reminding me, Warner.  To recap:

The format used on a RX50 disk is:
Single Sided, 80 tracks, 10 sectors per track
96 TPI, 300 RPM, 250 KHz data rate
... which translates to 400K SSQD.

The format of a high density 5.25" PC disk is: Double Sided, 80 tracks, 15 sectors per track
96 TPI, 360 RPM, 500 KHz data rate
... which translates to 1.2MB DSHD.

So to use an actual RX-50 on my PC, I just had to use an FDC capable of slowing down the data rate, and make a floppy cable to route the signals properly (minor changes from a PC floppy cable).

What Rod *might be* running up against with using PUTR and his RX-33, is that his RX-33 RPM and data rate might not be slowing down to equal that of the RX-50... which could be an FDC problem. Does the RX-33 automatically slow the RPM if the data rate drops to 250khz?

- John Singleton

       I've successfully put an actual
    RX-50
    drive on my PC, and written RX-50
    images
    using PUTR.  You might try that route.

Did you have difficulties with Pin34 not being the change disk pin? That's what I ran into when I tried this many many years ago...

Warner