What ever you do, don't use a Fairchild part. When I worked for Intel in the 80's, we finally band using Fairchild for any latching device. They failed on pullup current, even when the parts were sent back and they claimed they were good. We just gave up on them, we couldn't hold production while they figured it out.
We had a similar problem with PowerOne, a manufacture of power supplies.

I've heard the same thing about Intel, Shugart, Verbatim, Wabash, Tandy, Apple, Commodore, VW, Ford, Chevy, . . .

Just about EVERY company has released a bad product, and had their reputation damaged.

A better warning is: "Between xxx and yyy, we had a lot of bad parts from zzz."

SOME have cleaned up their act, and have made good products subsequently.