On Sun, 10 Jul 2022 at 10:10, Christian Corti via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Actually I knew them only as Rank Xerox many years ago, when they were
> commonly known as office suppliers, e.g. photo copiers and printers.

Ditto.

I think this may be another of those US/rest-of-world things.

To this Brit, the only company I knew of with this name was "Rank
Xerox" and  I had never heard of "Xerox" as a company (nor as a verb)
until I was an adult working in the tech industry and learned of Xerox
PARC and its role in the development of Smalltalk, OOPS, the GUI etc.

So probably roughly in my late 20s or early 30s.

"To xerox" meaning "to make a photocopy" was something I learned
around the same time. This is not a verb in British English, nor I
think in any non-North-American dialects of English.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com