> On 07/31/2022 7:29 PM CDT William Sudbrink via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>

> What is the "correct" name for the style (technology?) of circuit board
> layout images where the top is blue, the bottom is red and overlaps are
> purple? Also, any silkscreen is black. I thought someone once told me that
> there was an automated tool (maybe in KiCad?) that would produce Gerbers
> from that type of image. Does anyone know of such a utility?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bill S.

I originally sent this to the list, but it was rejected.  So here it is again.

You can import a graphics file into kicad and create a footprint / component
from it.  I have only used it to import an image to put onto the silkscreen so
I don't know what all it can do.  I'm using kicad 5.1.9 and from the main
(initial) window click Tools -> Convert Image to bring up the image import tool.

HTH,
Will

P.S.  I also found this link that may be of interest:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/copy-a-old-board-layout-into-kicad/26717/25