> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:23 PM Ali via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> So I am wondering if there is a box that provides a telnet CLIENT to a
> serial port device? I.E. a box smart enough that handles the telnet client,
> LAN functions, and terminal emulations internally and then provides a text
> based interface through a serial port that is compatible with my physical
> terminal?

> On Jul 31, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
> You can do what I believe it is that you want with any Digi
> PortServer.

+1 for the Digi Portserver for this application.  I recently grabbed one off
eBay, because I have a number of vintage terminals here which I would like to
“crossbar” to a number of vintage computers with serial terminal support, and
also provide both telnet out (vintage terminals telnet to modern systems) and
in (LAN or WAN terminal emulator clients to serial ports on vintage systems).
The Portserver looks like it is going to do this job nicely.

The only feature it doesn’t appear to have which I would like to have is
“rotaries”, allowing automatic selection of an idle serial port from a group
when connecting to a back end system that supports multiple serial lines.  But
it was a lot more affordable used than the Cisco equivalents.

    —FritzM.