On 9/1/22 17:45, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> How do they handle the issue of how the drive knows whether it is SS,
> DS, or SS flippy?  Or is it assumed that that problem is for the host FDC?
> (some DS drives had both SS and DS index sensors, so that they could
> read SS in the DS drive, and such a drive is going to see TWO index
> pulses with this disk!)

I think I was using a Qume 842 to read the disk and it turned out to be
double-sided, so there was no problem reading it. The disk itself
probably arrived here 30 years ago, so my memory may be faulty.

This isn't the first floppy I've seen with both SS and DS holes,
however.  I recall that using a write-enable sticky over the appropriate
index aperture resolved the problem of side-edness.

--Chuck