> >> Are you sure about that? The 5100 doesn't support floppy drives. And
> I've
> >> never heard of third-party drives (that would need IMFs, too) for the
> 5100.
> >
> > $3100 is about what IBM charged for a fully loaded 5150. (PC)
> > THAT is not a 5100!   $3100 for a 5100 would have been a bargain.
>
> We are neither talking about the 5150, nor about $3100 but $31,000 for a
> 5100 (see above). Or did I miss something?

There was a third-party floppy drive for the IBM 5100 :-)

Or at least there as something that was sold in this way. Here is its
brochure:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sykes/brochures/Sykes_Comm-Stor_5100_Brochure.pdf

Note that it "plugs directly into the Serial I/O Adapter of the IBM 5100
with no hardware or software changes". So it's a serial-port connected
floppy drive that talks to the 5100 in a format that it likes.

(What is an IMF?)

--Tom