On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 2:30 AM jim stephens via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to move to KC and my pile of DSD is back there.

Hi, Jim,

Cool.

> I have both PDP8 varieties and PDP11.  One complete system from Sellam
> which hopefully  contain data, etc.  Dual booted for a friend he helped
> maintain it.

I have boxes of floppies that were the residue from a rescue in
Champaign where Jack Rubin (who was closer) got first pick, and I got
the things he didn't want/didn't fit in his car.  From the directory
slips and markings on the box, I suspect many of these floppies are
double-sided and were used on DSD drives.  Mix of PDP-8 and PDP-11
contents.

> A guy in West Wendove NV had a number of subsystems  and
> I have all of them.  We'll have to make a date to do a prisoner
> exchange, and I'll loan / trade you what I've got, and hopefully come up with
> working systems.

Sounds like a plan.  I'm not in a massive hurry, I just wanted to see
if I had all the parts on hand to do _something_

> I've got two of the units with the SA-1000 drives as well.

I've read the docs but haven't seen those in person.  Kind of handy
for a smallish PDP-11 setup.

> Will take a bit of sorting, will have it on the list to get some stuff and
> visit you later this year, but probably next year.

Since it's already late September, I will just expect next year, but
if something on your end changes, just say the word.  I do have some
"blackout dates" for various weekends through the end of the year -
travel between here and NYC or here and Chicago, etc.

> Glad you're looking into this.  I don't think I've got enough
> to run much on DEC disk hardware.

I have an abundance of PDP-11 and PDP-8 gear.  I'm trying to see what
(still) works and fix what does not.  So far, I have been entirely
unable to even so much as read an 8" DEC floppy this year.  I keep
taking different stabs at it.  Part of the problem is that I have
mostly older (70s/80s) gear and the newer stuff (90s) doesn't work
with old peripherals.  Case in point, my DSD 8838 card has written in
sharpie on the bag "does not work with PDP-11/73".  That's not
unusual.  There are a lot of older Qbus cards that don't work with
"MicroPDP systems" (usually meaning J-11).

> I think among a pile of 8/As I got from sellam there are
> DSD cards, but it was all unsorted.  Hand over money load and drive
> with a pile is the state of that lot.

Right.

> I have makings of 6 or 8 8/A's would like a couple, but DSD again
> would be nice.

I have three hex-wide Omnibus boxes, I'd like to keep 2 and sell 1 to
someone, and I have two quad-wide Omnibus boxes -8/e and -8m) and I
may want to get both of them running.  I have an assortment of drives
and peripheral cards, enough to load up all the machines, if they are
all functional.

Where the DSD drive comes into play is that it can format RX01 media
(I have boxes of blank-blanks for CP/M machines) and mine (DSD480) can
do double-sided media, which is only important to me for reading
double-sided media.  I wouldn't want to depend on a working
double-sided drive for an operational setup.   For real DEC drives, I
have a number of RX01 and RX02 drive units and a box of spare parts
(motors, belts, door latches, etc).

Let me know when any of your plans crystalize.  Most of my travel
plans involve events like VCF so I can't haul lots of things because I
already have a load of event-related materials.  I also don't usually
get out past Chicago going West.  I haven't driven to St. Louis in
well over 20 years.

-ethan