> On Sep 30, 2022, at 1:12 PM, Peter Corlett via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:

> Note that there are (at least) _two_ Philips museums: the "Stichting tot
> Behoud van Historische Philips Producten" (Foundation for the Preservation
> of Historic Philips Products) and the Philips Museum. Their websites are
> https://www.sbhp.nl/ and https://www.philips-museum.com/. Both are in
> Eindhoven, as is much of the interesting bits of Philips itself.
>
> The former appears to be volunteer collectors of mainly analogue-era Philips
> gear and I can almost smell the chain-smoked roll-ups just from the photos,
> whereas the latter looks rather more corporate.

It's hard to see what the significance of the latter is, if any.  The website
has a "collection" tab that doesn't say anything about a collection.  The
"eyecatchers" tab speaks of an exhibit of Philips advertising posters.  Ok,
nice, but what does that have to do with the technology and products and
enormous R&D contribution of the company?

The former at least shows something about the collection, a set of nice photos
of stuff.  That and a hint that there is more -- but no description of what
that might be.

I keep wondering if anything whatsoever about the PR8000 has been preserved
anywhere.  I have a marketing brochure that I scanned and sent to Bitsavers,
plus some notes about the parts of the instruction set that show up in a
program of mine.  But I've never seen anything else, even finding any mention
of the machine is nearly impossible.

I still regret I didn't save the Stirling cryogenic machine brochures I had as
a teenager -- neat machines Philips built for easily and cheaply making lab
quantities of liquid nitrogen and even liquid helium.  Some were backpack size,
apparently for airborne applications.  I also had a brochure of their neutron
generator tube, which is a pretty wild device.