I can probably build firmware to this for you and assemble a list of OTS
parts you can connect together in a day or two - what string do you want to
trigger on? Parameters, 8N1? RTS/CTS? Voltage at RS-232 or TTL level?

OTS parts cost maybe $30?

Source: am firmware engineer at Peloton (and still employed, wheee).

--
Anders Nelson