Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Just to clarify, if the formatted order is 1,3,5,2,4, IMDU will return
> the sectors numbered as 1,2,3,4,5, right?

A visual way to think about this is with IMDV.  If you bring up a skewed image
in IMDV and move forward through the sectors with the right arrow, it
increments the _logical_ sectors by one (and you may see the _physical_ sectors
flip all over the place).  So it outputs disk images in the order you'd see
them coming out of the upper-right hand side of the screen, the logical sector
order.  I believe that is in keeping with what you wrote above.

> Works for me for data recovery.  Probably works for the original
> equipment, but not optimally.

It is not at all good for original equipment.  It is good for emulation and
manipulation tools.  The original .IMD has all the metadata to "do the right
thing" for reconstituting a disk image for real hardware.  A linear image is
for when you've shed the mortal coil.

(Sorry for the delayed responses... the website is giving "server errors" until
a few hours pass after a thread is updated.  It's quite annoying.  Since I
normally consume digests, the website is where I need to go to make individual