IRIX isn't node-locked or licensed. Just some versions of IRIX drop support for
old systems. Google will tell you exactly what you can install on what. Indys
can all take 6.5.22 (but will be slow). The MIPSpro C compilers were licensed
w/ flex but Google is also your friend for that.

Totally disc-less (uses Pi and network) IRIX install of last two versions which
support about 90% of SGI (and all Indys): https://github.com/unxmaal/booterizer

RSE - the RPM Software Env for IRIX 6.5.30 and .22 is avaiable and has
thousands of modern packages ported and ready to install via RPM and DNF via
http: https://github.com/sgidevnet/sgug-rse/wiki

Note: I worked on both of those projects and they are amazing if you have any
SGI with a MIPS 4400 or newer and Internet access! No reason to burn CDROMS or
not have some very cool tools and make IRIX useful again.

-andy