On 1/23/2023 9:02 AM, Mike Stein via cctalk wrote:
Agreed; might as well just replace the whole system with an emulator while
you're at it.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 3:41 AM Christian Corti via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2023, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
Later today I plan to try FlashFloppy.  My goal is to eventually
replace all of my mechanical floppies with solid state ones.
Why would one want to do that?
My goal would be the opposite. Upgrade all vintage computers with floppy
drives ;-) My experience is that, if handled correctly, floppies are one
of the most durable media, and they are definitely more fun on vintage
equipment than any form of modern replacement. For exchanging data between
the new and the old world, maybe it can be an option. But for classic
computing? No way I would replace a floppy drive if it isn't broken.

Christian

To each his own.  My interest is not in museum pieces that stand on a shelf

and look pretty.  I like to actually work with them.  Mechanical disk drives

are so old today they are prone to constant failure.  None of my original TRS-80

drives still function.  If I replace them with TEAC FD55's they are no longer

original so what difference is there if I replace them with a GOTEK and USB Stick?

And the disks themselves become unreliable with repeated use. The replacements

also allow for trying things the mechanical disks are incapable of.  Like really large

floppies with255 tracks.

bill