In a lot of ways it's entirely contextual, or a matter of practicality.  If the
goal is to just get the original operator/software experience, then emulators
should do the trick.  If it's about the original feel of the hardware, with all
its limitations and warts, then stock hardware is the way to go.  For
components that fail and are hard to replace, then FPGAs are cool, and it's fun
to see how far they can be tweaked using modern hardware and design
sensibilities.

For DECVax stuff, I just use an emulator on a pi because anything larger than
the smallest VAXen are way too power and space consumptive to be at all
practical.  I used to have a VAXStation 2000 that might be reasonable to keep
powered up 24/7, but other than that and maybe some of the desktop VAXen it's
just silly to keep them running unless you're a well-funded museum willing to
buy carbon offsets.

For my HP 9000 stuff, it's all straight original hardware, although I'm
diskless and just do netbooting of NetBSD off a PC.  My Tektronix 4132 is still
running on its original 40mb hard disk.

I have a few fully stock Atari 800s, and one I'm in the process of fully maxing
out with modern upgrades, because it's fun to see how far the machine can be
taken while maintaining the original hardware.  But I like to keep a fully
stock machine around as well.

Right now, I'm going back and forth on an IMSAI I am restoring.  Part of me
wants to do as slavishly accurate a restoration as I can, but the another part
insists that there really is no such thing, really, as the whole culture around
S100 was about taking the bus and extending it in a myriad of ways.  I'll
probably fall somewhere in the middle, but if I could ever find a CCS Z80 main
board I would probably switch to that and put the original IMSAI 8080 MPU board
into storage.  I had a CCS machine back in the day and just found that to be
really solid hardware with a good onboard monitor for debugging.  BTW - if
anyone has an IMSAI MIO board they are with (or a CCS z80 MPU board), please
contact me!

Replacing "doomed to fail" components like hard disks, or even potential time
bombs like capacitors & batteries just makes sense.  But when something becomes
way too far afield from the original specs, it does kind of defeat the purpose,
from my point of view.  I view it as akin to classic car restoration vs hot
rodding.  They're both different perspectives on the same machinery, and
there's value & intersections between both sides of the community from which
each side can benefit.

-mike