Not necessarily criticism, but there's usually a bit of judgement in there
somewhere; "I can't understand why on earth anybody would spend good money
and time buying old obsolete computers and getting them running" kinda
suggests that the speaker thinks you've got a problem and should spend the
money on more practical stuff (and they may well be right ;-)

I've certainly got hard and floppy disk emulators for several of my
systems; I was just saying that there are sick people out there who are
happy when a floppy drive fails and they have the opportunity to learn and
share repairing it.

Jest no accountin' for some folks' tastes...