From: Mike Stein via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2023 11:13 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: Mike Stein <mhs.st...@gmail.com>
Subject: [cctalk] Re: Computer of Thesus (was: Re: Re: Computer Museum uses
GreaseWeazle to help exonerate Maryland Man)

I think the issue of finding media tends to be a little overstated.

I offered some 8" diskettes a while back and didn't have a single inquiry,
and there doesn't seem to be a real shortage of other sizes either if you
don't mind sorting through used ones; even paper and mylar tape seem to
still be available.

When it comes to parts I often read complaints that a certain IC or part is
unobtainium when a quick look on ebay or even Amazon will find a dozen
listings; some people get satisfaction from finding parts or documentation
that no one else could and sharing with the community.

As to the reliability of mechanical devices, again, to each his/her own;
what is a frustrating experience for someone trying to get something done
is an opportunity for someone else to repair it and get that satisfaction.
At least, unlike some mysterious custom IC you can see what the problem is
and repair it.