Paul Berger wrote:
> On 2023-01-29 12:25 a.m., Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> >   On 1/28/23 20:20, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > believe it is the same
> >  as the 029.  The printer in the 1052 is a keyboardless Selectric with no
> >  tab rack and they spaced via a cam on the OP shaft instead of taking a
> >  cycle.  The ones I saw on a couple 360s (22 and 25) the space cam was so
> >  worn it wobbled when it took a cycle, but the customer would never let
> >  us do anything with it as long as it worked because they could not do
> >  anything with out the console.  Was the 1052 more or less durable than the
> > model B
> > adapted for the 1620?
> >    With its movable carriage, it always seemed to be in danger of
> >  self-destructing--the thing would shake a bit then a carriage return was
> >  executed.
> >
> >  --Chuck
> >  My experience is that they where pretty durable, I never saw a lot of
> 1052s by the time I started in 1979 there was not a lot of 360s in our
> branch. [snip]
>
> I don't know how they would compare to a model B that was used as an I/O
> I never saw any systems that used one.  I would imagine that moving the
> heavy carriage back on something that is printing steady would be a
> trouble spot.  I would image that kind of use would also be hard on the
> power roll that drives the type hammers into the paper.  I don't image
> they would be very fast, a Selectric could print at 15.5 characters per
> second and at that speed the cycle clutch never latched it was just one
> continuous cycle.  Selectric I/Os that ran at full 15.5 chars/sec
> suffered way more problems than ones that printed at a lower speed.

The IBM Model B electric typewriter was used as a printer and keyboard entry
device on at least the Bendix G-15 (mid 1950s) and the IBM 1620 Model 1 (1959).
On the G-15 it ran at about 8cps (timing was determined by the drum rotation).
On the 1620-1 it ran at 10cps. And yeah, they probably took quite a beating,
since many sites did not have a line printer.

The 1620 Model 2 (1962) used a Model 731 Selectric and drove it at 15.5cps.

Paul K