On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 at 17:13, emanuel stiebler via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 2023-02-01 10:56, Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 1:41 AM emanuel stiebler via cctalk
> > <cctalk@classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>
> >     retension in case of power off.
> >     If the power is applied all the time, the internal controller "can"
> >     check the quality of the cells automatically (but this really
> >     depends on
> >     the controller, controller version, and the OS has to chose the right
> >     strategy. And the controllers improved a lot lately)
> >

> > The OS might not have a choice. All the SSDs that I've used in the
> > past decade at $WORK have not exposed any of this to the host, not
> > even enough stats to know when it's going on in real time... let alone
> > the ability to pause these operations for a little while until we're off
> > peak for the day...
>
> But you should be able to choose (at least on controllers I know) if you
> like to go for automatic or manual refresh.
>
> If you go for the automatic, it could happen that the drive decides to
> scan the drive, when your're busy and going nuts waiting for the drive
> (you can also define on newer drives how many block to check per run)
>
> If you're going for the manual refresh, just make sure you really run it
> one day. But, you should be the one who knows, when your computer isn't
> busy ...

That reminds me (looks at 43.5T of zfs pool that has not had a scrub
since 2021).

It can be nice to have a filesystem which handles redundancy and also
the option to occasionally read all the data, check end to end
checksums (in the unlikely case a device returns a successful read
with bad data), and fixup everything. Does not eliminate the need for
remote copies, but gives a little extra confidence that the master
copy is still what it should be :)

Its currently all on spinning rust, but I imagine zfs scrub should map
nicely onto refreshing SSDs with "read everything you care about,
write only on fixing up data" (in the unlikely event I can ever afford
sufficient SSD storage)

David