I do have an RD54 image that can be used with mfm_write. Search in page for RD54
http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/status.shtml

Ok. Hm. So the command would be ./mfm_write --emulation RD54_A -d3?

This is possibly better than nothing: I could use this to put some sort of format on the drive, then try letting xxdp reformat it. Right now I'm getting this:

DR>START

CHANGE HW (L)  ? Y

# UNITS (D)  ? 1

UNIT 0
Enter controller IP Address (O)  172150 ?
What unit do you want to format [0-255] (D)  0 ?
Would you like to revector a single LBN only [Y/N] (L) N ?
Do you want to use the "AUTOFORMAT" Mode [Y/N] (L) Y ?
Enter unit serial number [1-32000] (D)  12345 ?

                       **** WARNING ****

         ALL DATA ON SELECTED DRIVE WILL BE DESTROYED

         Write protect all drives not being formatted.
         Please verify that the selected drive is ON LINE
         and NOT write protected.

         If formatting RX33 media, insert media to be
         formatted in the selected drive.

Do you wish to continue [Y/N] (L) Y ? Y

Autosizer found:

Unit  Cylinders  Drive Name
  0     1225     RD54
  1              RX33 Diskette (FORMATABLE)

MSCP Controller Model:  19
    Microcode Version:   1

Formatting of Drive 0 Begun.
(Oddly enough the old controller doesn't display the progress. I really think it's just talking to the RQDX3 and that is calling the shots as the later ROMs do tell you how far it is and what it's doing which is nice)

ZRQC SYS FTL ERR  00007 ON UNIT 00 TST 001 SUB 000 PC: 105742
Controller has reported a fatal error in the FORMAT program.

Drive 0 was not formatted successfully.

ZRQC EOP    1
    1 TOTAL ERRS