On 3/7/23 17:04, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
> I’m working on a project, and I need to know the age of various tape formats.
>  For example when were 6250bpi 700’ 9-Track tapes or DC600A cartridges
> introduced?  Is there any good resource online that documents this?
> Wikipedia is of some help, but the older you go, the spottier it is

Strictly speaking out of an orifice, I'd suggest that 9 track tapes in
NRZI and PE first came around with the IBM 2400 series tapes, GCR with
the 3400.

Prior to the S/360, tape drives were largely 7 track and used NRZI in
200, 556 and 800 bpi densities (IBM 700 series drives).  Of course,
there are many outliers.

As far as QIC-24 (DC600A), the applicable standard dates from 1983.

https://www.qic.org/html/qicstan.html

FWIW,
--Chuck