Steve Lewis wrote:
> I always considered a mainframe to basically be a "fully decked out"
> minicomputer.

You may find people will disagree with that.  I'm not sure what
mainframe means either, but I'm asking around.  Pysical size, I/O
capacity, CPU offload to front ends, and users served seem to factor
into it.

> Actually, to answer my own question:  if "main frame" refers to the actual
> framing... well the PDP-1, PDP-10, PDP-10 were minicomputers and still
> required a lot of metal "framing" to set up.  So, can't they be considered
> mainframes?

I believe the term minicomputer was first applied to the PDP-8.  It was
kind of retroactively applied going back to the PDP-1.  Whether the
PDP-10 is a mini is sometimes hotly debated.  IBM people say no, DEC
peole say yes.

> another notion is that mainframes are "multi-user" -- most early
> microcomputers were not multi-user, as they just barely supported the needs
> of one user;  I'm not sure if the very first minicomputers were
> multi-user?

Kind of yes, but recally early computers were often operated in batch mode.

Minis would typically do one task, or handle a few users.

> The term minicomputer has always been awkward to me -- "mini" in my
> head just means something smaller than me, which most minicomputers
> aren't

Consider that a minicomputer is larger than microcomputer.

> But to say "mainframe" when showing a minicomputer

I don't think that does a service to anyone.