On 3/10/23 12:26, Lee Courtney via cctalk wrote:
Mainframe - Minicomputer = RAS and order magnitude better I/O

That I think is the best distinction from the minicomputer era.

Even within the same system architecture (e.g. VAX's) there were machines that were solidly mini's and those that tended toward mainframes. Implementation features like redundancy, data path retry, ECC in more places, separate maintenance processors, many I/O buses, and more memory bandwidth distinguished machines that aspired to be "big iron". And of course it all came with a corresponding "big price tag".