On 3/14/23 22:55, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
I am working on an unknown status Persci 299 drive and one of the two
drives is locked closed.  Is this a "park" of some kind or is the drive
broken?  If it's a parked drive (only the drive 0 side) how do you unpark
the drive?  I can't seem to find any info on this.  If I find anything I
will post my findings.

This is a dual 8" floppy drive with linear voice coil head positioning?  I used to have one of those.

There are two 12V (I think) gear motors that operate the hub clamp arm.  The logic is very simple, press the button on the front, the motor should unclamp the hub, press a disk in the slot, the motor will clamp the hub.  Check the switch in the floppy slot to see if it thinks the floppy is in.  But, it seems anyway that the button has to take precedence over the floppy in sensor.  One possibility is that the motor has failed, you can unplug the motor and apply 12 V to it and see if it moves.  Otherwise, the full-bridge driver has gone bad.  Or, mayvbe just a bad connection where the motor plugs into the board.

Jon