I've come across three original QIC tapes for the IBM 5100.  DC300 I think,
original IBM labels.

They are in fair condition (the tape material itself seems fine, they are
all on their reels), but the "rubbers" used to actually actuate the reels
is degraded.   I came across an article once on how to restore those (I
think it involved gluing the rubber band directly to the ends of the media?)

The three tapes are labeled as follows:

5721-XM3
THE IBM 5100 PROBLEM SOLVER LIBRARY
TAPE PART NO.  1608361
E.C. NO         829643   DATE  7/29/76
  (this one is in a form fitted sealed ziploc-like bag, which I haven't
opened; the early magazine ads for the 5100 reference this solver library
-- I assume it is a mix of BASIC and APL)

5721-EAB
THE IBM 5100 BASIC COMPUTER AIDED INSTRUCTION
TAPE PART NO.  1608376
E.C. NO         829482   DATE  11/13/75
VERSION 1   MOD 0  FEAT 9021
PROGRAM NO.  5721-EAB   CARTRIDGE 3 OF 3
(what does FEAT mean? and sadly, I don't have cartridge 1 or 2, but I
assume this is probably some BASIC code that runs some kind of tutorial
about the system)

TAPE PART NO.  1608705
E.C. NO         829637    DATE   1/10/77
DIAGNOSTIC CARTRIDGE.  DO NOT ALTER THE
CONTENTS OF THIS TAPE.
(I believe when accessing the built in DCP, it has options to load and run
additional diagnostics that would be contained on this tape -- I think
"IMF" stuff, so it would be in native PALM machine code)

Anyone interested in a restoration or any contacts to folks who have worked
on QIC tape before?  I have a working IBM 5100 (with working internal tape
and external 5106), but I absolutely haven't tried to insert or use these
tapes, and I have 0 experience in trying to extract data from raw media.

I don't mind shipping them off to an expert - such as anyone who maybe can
copy the data content to a new tape?  (which I know is probably some
specialized equipment - I probably can't self fund that, but I am
interested to know what the options here might be)

-Steve / v*