On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 8:47 PM W2HX via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what I picked up at a NH hamfest this weekend for $20? I
> see it says RL01/RL02. I have two RL02 drives and some platters. None of
> which I have gotten around to trying. Other than a copious amount of pine
> needles, what can this be used for? Or maybe the right question is, should I
> not use it for fear of destroying an RL platter?
>
> https://w2hx.com/?prefix=x/VintageComp/Platter-Device/

Wow!  Pretty neat - looks like a pack inspector for RK05, RL01/02, and
RK06/07 based on the (blurry) instructions.  Runout, at least, and
certainly a few other measurements - would probably identify a pack
that had been dropped hard enough to bend something (before you stuff
it in a drive and ruin both).

It doesn't look like a cleaner - I've seen an RK05 cleaner and it's a
bit different - more about running a Texpad over the surface while
slowly rotating than measuring anything.

Cool find!

-ethan