Ok thanks everyone for the clarification.

73 Eugene W2HX
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@w2hx/videos

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Hilpert via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 2:29 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: Brent Hilpert <bhilp...@shaw.ca>
Subject: [cctalk] Re: Altair 8800 question

On 2023-May-09, at 11:08 AM, W2HX via cctalk wrote:
> I see some altairs have a metal escutcheon on the bottom with the stylized
> words "MITS ALTAIR 8800 COMPUTER" whereas others, the front panel is just the
> dark faceplate top to bottom. What is the difference? Would one have been a
> kit and the other sold fully assembled? Or maybe later units vs earlier units?

I'm currently working on restoration of an 8800. On this unit, as Jonathan
mentioned, the strip is glued/stuck on and some could easily be getting lost
over the years.

Might note also that the Altair on/in the Pop Electronics issue is physically
vastly different than what shipped, it's not even the same case.