I can't say I blame them.  It was a lot of work to get a drive running after a
head crash.  If it was a bad crash, there could be extensive cleaning to be
done followed by replacing one or more heads.  Then the new heads had to be
aligned.  If you hadn't cleaned thoroughly enough, you risked damaging the
expensive alignment disk.

Once I came back from lunch to see the operators had 3 drives open.  They kept
swapping a disk pack which was giving I/O errors to new drives and were
crashing heads along the way due to the damaged disk pack.  I stopped them
before they spun up the pack on a 4th drive.  That wasn't as bad as the time
one of them dropped a disk pack and bent platters.  That ripped heads
completely out of the mounting mechanism.

Ah, the good old days!

 Rod