On Monday, June 5th, 2023 at 1:43 PM, Robert Feldman via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> >Message: 21
>
> > Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 04:35:28 +0100
> > From: Tony Duell ard.p850...@gmail.com
> > Subject: [cctalk] Re: Getting floppy images to/from real floppy disks.
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 10:57 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk
> > cctalk@classiccmp.org wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 4 Jun 2023, Rick Bensene via cctalk wrote:
>
> <> > an example of early "mobile computing". (Tongue firmly in cheek).
>
> > > The original Osborne 1 had a 12V power input!
> >
> > Actually it's +12.6V and +5.6V and you have to supply both voltages.
> > It's one diode drop to the +5V (logic supply) and +12V (DRAM, disk
> > motors, monitor supply), the -5V for the DRAM is produced on the logic
> > board.
> >
> > I am told it was never used and that the Osborne battery pack came
> > with an inverter to provide 110V AC.
> >
> > -tony
>

> It (the Osborne Powr-Pac (tm) ) has a what the manual says is a DC-DC
> inverter that plugged into a Gould lead-acid battery (or the
> cigarette-lighter socket in a car) at one end and the AC input of the Osborne
> 1 at the other. I have read on this list that Lee denies that OCC ever sold
> them, but I have one that I bought for $50 at Compumat in Chicago on October
> 10, 1983 -- I still have the unit, receipt, and User Registration card. It
> came with a glossy-printed grey-and-blue manual, like other contemporary OCC
> products.
>
> If anyone wants a copy, I can email you a PDF scan of the user manual.
>
> Bob

It's funny that luggable power packs come up here as I'm trying to revive my
Otrona Attache... The power supply does nothing on AC input, even after a
recapping, so I thought I'd investigate the "DC Power Option" described in the
manual. Unfortunately I can't find any record that Otrona ever actually *sold*
a "DC Power Option", which would plug into an unpopulated 6-pin Molex connector
on the back of the device. Interestingly, the header inside the power supply
labeled "DC Option" is a 7-pin header, so I'm not sure which pin was "optional"
for the external connector!

I'd just replace the power supply wholesale with a little ATX supply or
something, but the machine needs 5V, 12V, -12V, and 15V; the latter is used to
power the CRT and represents a real challenge! I've yet to find anything that
outputs all 4 levels at a reasonable price.

john