On 6/11/23 08:21, ben via cctalk wrote:

> I would of thought the AMIGA would have a say here,
> as it reads a disk track as just a bunch of flux transitions.

Other than the FBGA-equipped ones (e.g. Catweasel Mk 3-4) and a few
others, all basically use the same "timer capture" facility in all but
the most basic MCUs.  For writing, one can, similarly, use the
timer-based PWM facilities in the same chips.

Other than timer clock rate and local RAM, they're pretty much the same
from a hardware standpoint.  I doubt that one can say that across the
entire PDP-11 line.

My own implementations use an 84 MHz timer clock (prescaling selected)
with HF noise filtering and 192KB of local memory.  Most of my analysis
is done in the MCU, not relying on any  PC/Apple host.  No need for USB,
(although I use it for speed and include an option to run using a UART)
a dumb terminal would suffice for interface.  Since the MCU includes a
NIC, one could conceivable run it from a smartphone.

--Chuck