On Mon, Jul 17, 2023, 12:42 PM Henry Bent via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 13:06, Henry Bent <henry.r.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have had good luck with a secfor convolver from the same page as this
> >> comment:
> >>
> >> http://www.chdickman.com/pdp11/lbn2rx50.c
> >>
> >> It will go both ways, to and from physical block order and logical block
> >> order.
> >>

> > That seems to have worked perfectly.  Thank you for the utility and the
> > explanation.  Now off to working on the next steps!
> >
> > -Henry
> >

> A brief follow-up on this: After lots of (virtual) disk-swapping I was able
> to upgrade an existing 1.0 system but was not able to install a 1.2 system
> from scratch.  It seems that there is some sort of bootloader issue with a
> clean install, which I suspect might be a SIMH problem and I will follow up
> there after some more investigation.
>
> I truly feel for the folks who had to do this at the time, using 38
> floppies on a MicroVAX I.  The installer does give time estimates for
> certain milestones so that you could go and get a coffee or whatever.
> "Configuring vmunix, this takes about 30 minutes" is certainly indicative
> of the relative speed of the machine at the time.  Also there is an
> indication that there was a tape distribution but so far that has not
> surfaced.  I'm not even sure what medium that would have been - RC25?

Doing a VMS install, twice, on a microvax ii is what convinced the powers
that be to get a tk50... and an eagle 400mb drive... or at least put them
over the edge to proposing work that got the upgrade funded... iirc... The
VMS install was on a crazy number of floppies, if you counted all the
layered products and third party packages...

Warner