Agreed.  I wonder though if Apple eventually founders (always possible - Kodak
did), if Jobs/Apple will still have quite the same appeal and collector's halo
effect on their oldest products.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sellam Abraham via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2023 2:12 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: Sellam Abraham <sellam.ism...@gmail.com>
Subject: [cctalk] Re: Apple 1

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023, 9:48 AM Joshua Rice via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> The Apple 1 is collectible purely because it was the first product
> Apple made.

Not really, though that's part of it.  The value of the Apple 1 has more to do
with the Cult of Steve than anything else.  Steve Jobs became the most
celebrated CEO of his time.  He was practically a rockstar.  Personally, I
think the admiration for Jobs turned into cringey idol worship, but the fact is
millions of people around the world were impacted by the products Apple
produced under his leadership, and he received the adoration.

As I said previously, the Apple 1 is now an icon, a status symbol for the
wealthy.  The "Veblen Good" concept absolutely applies here.  They have
transcended our motley little community of vintage computer enthusiasts.
They will continue to be held in high end collections for generations to come.

Sellam