Devin,

  You have a problem.  The MicroVAX 3800 isn't supported in OpenVMS (VAX/VMS)
until version V5.1-1.  You can't run it with any older versions.  It just won't
work.  The problem is that DEC introduced the PAK license with V5.0 and unless
you have some non-expiring VAX VMS PAK's, there is no legal[1] way for you to
run it.  VSI has a Hobbyist (Community License Program) program but their PAKs
only work on VSI released versions of OpenVMS and they have only done Alpha,
Integrity and now, x86.  No VAX. Not now, not ever (according to several VSI
employees).

  What you can do is use SimH and emulate older VAXen such as the venerable
11/780 or 86xx up to the VAXstation 3200/3500 or 3500/3600 (I forget what all
is available in SIMH) and use VAX/VMS up to V4.7.