It would still be handy to have a USB device that operates as a "normal"
fully functional FDC.

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023, Anders Nelson wrote:
I agree, and that generic USB FDC is already available:
https://github.com/dhansel/ArduinoFDC
If I can simply select 5 1/4 floppy mode and it'll work with an 8" disk, I
guess I don't need anything else?

An 8" drive and a 5.25" 1.2M drive look the same to whatever they are connected to, with a few trivial exceptions
8" is 50 pin; 5.25" is 34 pin.
The very first 1.2M 5.25 that I encountered (purchased at a swap) was a pre-release/prototype? Mitsubishi 4854, and had a 50 pin connector! I heard from some of the usual unreliable sources that when the AT BIOS was being modified for 1.2M, some of the programmers thought that IBM was adding an 8" drive!

8" is 77 track, 1.2M is 80 track. Therefore, trying to format an 8" disk as 1.2M without special software will fail on tracks 77-79

For writing, TG43 provides write pre-compensation. not needed for reading.

BTW, 8" power connectors were not standardized, so different brands of drives will need different connectors.

READY/DISK-CHANGED on pin 34 was not standardized, and can confuse the system is wrong.

Ideally, you would also want 8" SSSD, as that was "THE STANDARD" format for CP/M.

The PC formats are/were all 512 bytes per sector; other formats had 1024, 256, and occasionally 128.

Many PC FDCs can not handle FM/SD, and many can't handle 128 bytes per sector.

I;m forgetting numerous other items, so those are left as an exercise for the reader :-)

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com