My plan is to have both a serial port for connection to a PC/Terminal and an I2C output to a multi line display.

Thanks for the suggestion.

On 9/22/2023 4:45 PM, ben via cctalk wrote:
On 2023-09-22 3:16 p.m., Mike Katz via cctalk wrote:
Martin,

The debug board will need to have the following functionality:

1. Read and write to/from memory when the CPU is running using one
    cycle data break (DEC's version of DMA for the PDP-8). Single Cycle
    DMA requires some interesting signaling, including putting the
    priority on the data bus during part of the cycle.
2. Read and write to/from memory when the CPU is halted using front
    panel emulation (something totally different than one cycle data
    break unfortunately)
3. Handle 4 breakpoints (based on address, data, R/W and count) and
    signal the cpu to stop.  I don't know, yet, if there will be enough
    time in the CPU's instruction cycle to top the CPU before the fetch
    of the next instruction.  If this cannot be done in hardware than a
    much more crude break point system can be done in software.
4. There are 96 active signals on the PDP-8/E's Omnibus.  I expect to
    need most or all of them for this project.
5. The Omnibus is an open drain, active low bus where +2.7V to +4.5V is
    a zero and -0.5 to +0.4V is a one.  I don't necessarily need a 5V
    tolerant gate array but what ever I use to interface to the bus will
    need to be.

A full description of the Omnibus can be found here: https://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/standards/EL-00157_00_A_DEC_STD_157_OMNIBUS_Specification_Aug76.pdf

Coding the break point system in some kind of parallel C like language seems way easier to me than to write this in gates.  I don't have a clue how to design the count registers.

I need to get #'s 1 and 2 working first and then I can dive into #3.

Thanks.

Hexadecimal displays til311, (pulled DIS1417's) can be found on ebay for about $5 not counting shipping. This way you have easy to read hex or octal numbers.