Okay, we'll start with the basics.

Download
http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/ultrix-11/Ultrix11-install.tap.gz
.  This is a pre-formatted tape made for use in SIMH.  Make a reasonable
pdp11.ini; mine looks like:

--
set cpu 4M
set cpu idle
set tq0 lock
att tq0 Ultrix11-install.tap
set tq1 dis
set tq2 dis
set tq3 dis
set rl dis
set rp dis
set rq0 rd54
att rq0 rd54-0.dsk
set rq1 dis
set rq2 dis
set rq3 dis
set xq type=deqna
;attach to whatever device you have...
--

run "boot tq" and then you should be at the point where you can follow the
instructions from

Now for the more advanced stuff:
I had a recollection of having problems with installing Ultrix 3.1 on RA
disks so I went back through the install procedure and confirmed this - the
installer creates a /usr partition that is too small to hold the initial
dump from the install tape.  So if you're going to install on a simulator
the drive should be an RD series.  Ironically the RD31 gets the largest
/usr partition.  I don't know how much testing this distribution got, or
who it was marketed to - I would be very interested to hear reports of it
being used in the field.

-Henry