As the one who helped Ray introduce the F14A CADC microprocessor to the
public back in 1998, I'm intimately familiar with the story of its creation
as well as its capabilities.

Ray officially announced the CADC at VCF 2.0 in 1998.  He was the keynote
speaker.  He brought along prototypes of the chips that he kept from his
time working at Garrett Air Research.  Ray first attempted to publish the
design in Computer Design magazine in 1971 but the military stepped in and
classified the project and prohibited him from disclosing anything.  As a
result the article was pulled.  In the mid-1990s he began an effort to have
the design de-classified so that he could finally talk about it, something
he'd been wanting to do since the early 1970s when they completed the
project successfully, under budget and with time to spare.  With the help
of his local assemblywoman, Zoe Lofgren (Santa Clara) he was able to get
the project de-classified (probably because the F14A is no longer produced,
and the CADC was only used in the F14A, so maybe Iran still has an interest
in CADC technology).

Ray actually approached me, contacting me by phone, I think.  He found me
by way of the Vintage Computer Festival and asked if I would be interested
in helping to bring disclosure to the CADC.  I wasn't sure what to make of
him at first as I already had some experience with hucksters promoting
themselves as having done the first this or that, but upon meeting Ray for
lunch he brought the goods (the prototype chips) and had the story and the
facts to back up what he said.  So we made an agreement to debut the CADC
officially at VCF 2.0.

Before we shopped the story around to the press, I decided that we should
first meet with Ted Hoff to show him the CADC design and let him know we
were going to make this public announcement that it beat out the 4004 by a
couple years (and by quite a bit in terms of capability).  The reasoning
being I didn't want him to feel slighted or to create animosity if we were
going to upend the history of microprocessors/microcomputing, which I felt
this story would do.  I was able to arrange a meeting with Hoff at his
office in Menlo Park or something (it's been many long and sometimes hard
years since 1998 so forgive me if I forget some minor details).  Ted was
cordial and then got right down to business, asking Ray a bunch of
questions about the design of the CADC.  And it came down to this: the CADC
was designed to be a multi-processing system.  While it was polling the
pilot's joystick (first fly-by-wire aircraft I believe), it was also
computing air speed/pressure, and using that to control the sweep (sorry
that I don't know the proper technical term) of the wings, while also
monitoring the weapons systems, etc.  It was processing something like 8
different tasks simultaneously, in a round-robin fashion.  Each sub-process
was contained on its own ROM chip.  The CADC central processor would
execute so many cycles of code on each ROM and then move onto the next.
The CADC had no program counter: since it was designed from its inception
to be a multi-processing (multi-threading?) system, it made sense to build
a program counter onto each ROM.  Therefore, when the CADC switched back to
that ROM to continue executing instructions, the program counter on that
ROM told the CADC where it was supposed to fetch the next instruction.
Once it became clear to Ted that the CADC did not have an integrated
program counter (though it easily could have) he pooh-poohed the entire
thing as not qualifying as a single-chip microprocessor and we spent the
rest of our time with him discussing other topics until it was time to wrap
up.  Ray and I both came out of the meeting somewhat bewildered at his
reaction and response, but in hindsight it was obvious that a gigantic part
of Ted Hoff's legacy is as "inventor of the 'first' microprocessor" and so
it made sense that he would be quick to protect that legacy rather than so
easily give it up to this nobody from out of nowhere with this fantastical
claim of a microprocessor before the 4004 that made the 4004 look like the
silly little calculator chip that it was.  I guess we were expecting him to
be more interested in the historical significance of Ray's disclosure and
welcome it but that was obviously naive.

Once that was out of the way, I began shopping the story around to the
press.  I first approached the San Jose Mercury News tech editor (Dan
whats-his-name), which would have been a natural fit all around, but he
just could not be bothered to return my messages.  I also pitched it to
Katie Hafner and/or (can't remember for sure) John Markoff at the New York
Times, and to Dan Kawasaki at the Wall Street Journal.  It was Dan Kawasaki
who actually got back to me and expressed a definite interest in the CADC
and Ray's story.  After an initial conversation with me and Ray, Dan asked
for an exclusive on the story and we granted it to him.  We had also (I
guess tentatively) agreed it would be a front page story.  So he set about
doing his research and due diligence, which included talking with Ted Hoff
and Frederico Faggin and also some proponents of the design, which included
the designer of the 6800 (I think, or it might've been with Fairchild F8
microprocessor...like I said, it's been a while) who called the CADC a
"tour de force of engineering".  In the end, the article gave a somewhat
antagonistic (I felt) review of the CADC and relied too heavily on the
opinions of Hoff and Faggin to frame it.  So whereas I was expecting a huge
and glorious response, it ended up just fizzling out into nothing as far as
the general public.  It would take several more years of Ray Holt speading
the word, establishing the record, and lobbying for recognition before the
CADC would be de facto formally recognized for what it is, which depends on
your definition of "single chip microprocessor", and how loyal you are to
Ted Hoff :)

Ray, by the way, is also responsible for the JOLT (first 6502 SBC) as well
as the Synertek SYM-1.  I will add that he is one of the nicest and calmest
of people I have ever met and known in my life.  A fantastic human being he
is.  He is someone who I believe still hasn't really gotten the recognition
he deserves.

The Computer History Museum has but a single result when searching their
collection for "Ray Holt":

https://computerhistory.org/blog/who-invented-the-microprocessor/

I don't think they've even done an oral history with him yet (fie).  If
they have, I apologize, but there's no indication of such in searching
their site.  At any rate, that article is a good overview of the
controversy of all the people claiming "first" on the microprocessor.

I learned of the Lee Boysel/AL-1 claim after digging more into the research
once VCF 2.0 had passed as determining the "first microprocessor" became a
sub-passion of mine for a while.  I actually acquired a Four Phase Systems
IV-90 from a dilapidated barn in Florida back in the 2000 timeframe.  I
still have it (one of the things that I was able to get out of my warehouse
before I was permanently locked out) and I believe it may have an (or many)
AL-1 in it.  I put that research project on hold for 23 years.  I'll
eventually get back to it.

Special thanks for Rick Bensene for that chapter of a book about the
history of computers that he conjured up on the fly.  The output of that
man is beyond prolific.  The information he provided about the CADC
compliments the history I've provided here, but to really learn about it,
and understand just what an amazing engineering feat it was, I recommend
one go to his website and read up on it:

https://firstmicroprocessor.com

Sellam